- To provide for the interchange of information about research related to surgery and surgical disease.
- To foster the interchange between surgical science and clinical practice.
- To promote evidence-based surgical practice.
- To promote humanity and ethical standards in clinical and experimental research.
- To comment on the educational value of surgical research in the training of surgeons.
- To encourage the establishment of workshops on surgical research in medical and academic centers.
- To run workshops on research design and grant application.
- To run workshops on how to write scientific papers.
- To run workshops on critical appraisal of surgical research.
- To help maintain high standards of presentations at the scientific meetings of the ESS and its groups.
- To enhance clinical governance, clinical effectiveness, and clinical audit.
- To promote surgical research by providing scholarships and/or research grants whenever possible.
- To promote the interchange of information nationally and internationally through collaboration with other national and international similar societies and groups.
- To undertake such other programmes and activities as may be proper to promote and enhance the above purposes.